The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Wind Chill Advisory for Okaloosa County. Hazardous road conditions will be possible overnight as very cold air spills into the area from the west. Another big concern is the very low wind chill values overnight, dropping to between 0 and 10 degrees. The NWS highly discourages travel due to the possibility of black ice on roadways. Residents are also urged to stay indoors until conditions improve.
If travel is absolutely necessary, please use the following precautions:
- Wear multiple layers of clothing and cover your head to prevent body heat loss
- Prepare and take a winter storm kit, including items such as tire, chains, jumper cables, flashlight, shovel, blankets and extra clothing
- Take water, a first aid kit, or anything else that would help you survive in case you become stranded
- Drive slowly, carefully and avoid driving while distracted
- Allow for extra driving time
- Reduce speeds when visibility is low
- Make sure there is plenty of room between yours and other vehicles
- Look out for black ice - a thin, transparent lay or ice accumulation that can be visually hard to detect on bridges, overpasses, off-ramps, and in shady spots
To ensure the safety of our staff, City Hall and the Library will delay opening until 10:00 a.m.